Sunday, October 23, 2011

John Wesley Busts

John Wesley (1703-1791) was a revivalist (and let's not forget Methodist) preacher from Britain who I know because of his fervent preaching in the United States, mobilizing people religiously and stirring up enthousiasm amongst the slack believers. Fire and brimstone in one hand, glory and personal experience in the other. Very theatrical man, I would give to see him spit fire from his lips. Unfortunately I'm a bit too late for that, but no fear, there are these great busts that remind me of him. Even one where he's doing his thing at the pulpit! Some of the busts where they put rouge on his cheeks and where he's sporting eyebrows the size even Tammy Faye Bakker would be jealous of do make me wonder if Mr. Wesley had a side job as a drag queen. He was already in show business, he might as well have!








No comments:

Post a Comment