Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Footprints in the Sand

This is a poem form the late nineteenth century it seems. There seems to be dispute about who the author of the text is. Here is the text, a version (there appear to be several) accredited to Mary Stevenson who supposedly wrote it in 1836:

Footprints in the Sand

One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord. Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky.

In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand. Sometimes there were two sets of footprints, other times there was one only.

This bothered me because I noticed that during the low periods of my life, when I was suffering from anguish, sorrow or defeat, I could see only one set of footprints, so I said to the Lord,

“You promised me Lord,
that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I have noticed that during the most trying periods of my life there has only been one set of footprints in the sand. Why, when I needed you most, have you not been there for me?”

The Lord replied, “The years when you have seen only one set of footprints, my child, is when I carried you.”

The text is great but obviously it looks even better when you see it with a beach backdrop on a life-size poster, like this one:


Probably the best version is here, where it is turned into a website with shore sounds, text in neon colored comic sans serif font, a beach backdrop and a footprint for a mouse pointer!


2 comments:

  1. umm so yah i really like this scipture and it means alot so dont make fun of it its not really what i like to call it a game so next time be VERY serious about this because half of yaw dont even no what the bible is about yaw just going off what your herd and dont know so yeah its not a game read it then your all good
    because its people who are constanlt telling other what thier doing wrong as if they can before they how bout you take a look in the mirror before you point your finger at someone else and try to help them instead of critisize aslo learn please read and learn about the bible because we dont wont everyone in thw world not to know nothing antways have a blessed christmas and a happy new year!!!!:) thanks bye

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you should learn English, obviously you don't know much of that

    ReplyDelete