Sunday, January 1, 2012

Clowns for Christ

And what a year it's been. So far this blog generated more traffic than I had expected. I thought things shifted gear towards the end of 2011, but that turned out to have more to do with Christmas than this blog. Oh well, that's alright, I still like all the visits that I am graced with. All the more this new year I say! You are all welcome.

So what about this new year? Will it be the year of the apocalypse? One can only hope. But in the mean time, let's kick it off with a big hit. I read the book Authentic Fakes by David Chidester a while ago, dealing with religion and popular culture in America, as the subtitle betrays. Not a bad book I'd say, sometimes his theories seemed a bit far fetched, but that's also part of the fun of course. However, it was not by the content but by the cover that I was struck most. Not so much judging it by it though, as being bewildered by it. I saw two clowns. If you are anything like me, and if you are reading this then probably you are, you hate clowns. Maybe hate is not the right word, somewhere between terrified and distrusting is perhaps a better way to put it, regarding clownhood as the gateway to fascist regimes. But here were two clowns staring at me. This was half my startle. The second half came when I saw what it said on the bus to the back of these two criminals: Clowns for Christ.




It's very ironic that one of the few posts that does not make me laugh but in fact I find to be deeply deeply disturbing is one about clowns.

No comments:

Post a Comment