Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Religious Snow Globes

Recently I read the book Consuming Religion by Vincent J. Miller, in which he argues that in relation to religion, “we witness a great hollowing out. Exchange demands interchangeability, equivalence. Anything that stands in the way of exchange becomes a problem. Rough edges must be smoothed. Objects must now function outside of their original contexts.” (p. 77). I may have my doubts about this idea (what does original context matter anyway?), but I can't deny that a prime example of it seems to be the snow globe.

 Can't go wrong with the nativity scene!

 What better way to communicate the essence of the passion than by means of a snow globe? Shake it one more time for Jesus!

 Hey there pope!

 I don't know if this qualifies as a snow globe or if it's more of an... aquaglobe? Anyway, underwater Jesus in a sphere action!

Santa Claus praying to baby Jesus in a snow globe. Priceless.

Judaism seems to keep it simple. Nice blingifications.

1 comment:

  1. Where can I get one of the Jesus on the cross snow globes?
    t.rmccardle@paradise.net.nz

    ReplyDelete